Celebrating 125 Years of Banding in the North-East of England.Contact) and perform at concerts and contests in the North East and further afield.
The band and its members play many varied styles of music from traditional brass band music, dance and swing band, modern pop, classics and film music, as well as the best of modern original composition for the genre.
We are available for hire – from a full brass band to smaller ensembles.
Our junior and training band rehearse every fortnight and give opportunities to people of all ages and abilities to learn to play a brass instrument or percussion and develop their musical abilities.
Latest News Posts
- Northumberland Park, Sat Aug 8th - It is always good to play on our “home turf”, and Northumberland Park in North Shields / Tynemouth probably hosts the nearest band stand to Backworth, since its splendid restoration. The band got the celebrations of the park’s renovation off to a great start following the official opening by the elected Mayor, Norma Redfern. It was … Read more Northumberland Park, Sat Aug 8th
- Durham Miners Gala - The sun was out for the 131st Durham Miners Gala, as 150,000 people poured onto the streets of Durham City for this fantastic celebration of the North East’s mining heritage with the banners and bands on parade. It’s also a living part of…
- DLI Museum Contest - At last some summer weather, and a glorious day to be playing outside at the DLI Museum in Durham City along with 14 other bands to mark the start of “Brass 2015″. The Sunday morning’s entertainment got underway at an early 9:30am…
- Tameside Whit Friday contests - This year we travelled to the Tameside Whit Friday contests around Ashton. On a very cold and blowy, but thankfully dry, evening we managed to play at 8 of the venues starting at Denton about 4:30pm and ending at Heyrod at 10:30pm. These are a little…
- Whitley Bay Carnival - Whitley Bay Carnival returned on Saturday 23rd May for a second time since last year’s revival. A colourful and lively parade with many school children, made its way from Whitley Bay Metro station to the renovated Spanish City Plaza past…
We have a flexible approach to membership, with several players in the band happy to move seats if the right players wish to join. We have currently have specific vacancies for Cornet, and Bass (either) but always welcome additional players on other instruments. See members page for more details.
Prospective members are more than welcome to come to one of our practices. We rehearse on Tuesday & Thursday evenings at Backworth Social Club – see Map and Directions. We have several instruments that can be loaned if required.
Our Next Events
3:00 pm - 3:45 pm
Bedlington Brass Festival
Attlee Park, Bedlington, NE22 5RX., Bedlington
6:30 am - 8:00 pm
Green Dragon pub, Hardraw, Wensleydale, Yorkshire. DL8 3LZ, Hardraw Wensleydale
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
RAFA Battle of Britain
Newcastle Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne